Friday, May 11, 2012

Hooray For Pie!!!

In keeping with my food theme for the week I would like to share "my" award winning recipe for key lime pie. I have to be honest, I got this off of AllRecipes.com (my favorite recipe site) so it's not really mine. The only changes I would suggest are:
  • Use fresh key limes if you can get them but if you can't, use Nellie and Joe's key lime juice 'cause it's almost as good (sometimes better  given how crappy limes are in the grocery store).
  • Use heaping tablespoons of lime zest. If you use the bottled lime juice, use 3-5 large regular limes to get your zest. The zest is important so don't skip it!
  • Sweetened condensed milk comes in 14 0z cans so you'll need just under 2 cans for 1 pie and ~3.5 cans for 2 pies. Don't get the low fat stuff, it's just not worth it. If you're doing fresh key limes, you'll need 20-30 for one pie and 50-60 for two.
  • Cook times vary but for one pie I've found I need ~10 min. and ~18 min for two pies. Don't hold me to that though.
Enjoy! 
Key Lime Pie VII
recipe image
Rated: rating
Submitted By: ANNRICHARDSON
Photo By: justamom
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 8 Minutes
Ready In: 55 Minutes
Servings: 8
"Along with a bit of grated lime rind swirled in, sour cream is blended with condensed milk and lime juice for this pie 's very rich and creamy key lime filling."
Ingredients:
1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust
3 cups sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup sour cream
3/4 cup key lime juice
1 tablespoon grated lime zest
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a medium bowl, combine condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice, and lime rind. Mix well and pour into graham cracker crust.
3. Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 8 minutes, until tiny pinhole bubbles burst on the surface of pie. DO NOT BROWN! Chill pie thoroughly before serving. Garnish with lime slices and whipped cream if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to get comments!!!