Thursday, November 29, 2012

First Ever Guest Post: Jeff Harget



The best thing about blogging is the people you meet. Not that I've ever actually met Jeff.  We haven't had beers or shared embarrassing childhood stories or spent a cold Buenos Aires morning burying a dead llama jockey that I HAVE NO IDEA HOW HE GOT INTO MY TRUNK!

But Jeff has been super supportive to me and my writing. He's really nice. Like super nice. Like so nice it makes me wonder whether he actually has a closet full of suits made with human skin and he's just covering up for it. Even so, he's my kinda people.

And he's been kind enough to grant me my very first guest post! I asked Jeff to tell us a little bit about how he got his short story published. As always, he exceeded my expectations.

Check it out.
_____________

"I've Never Had a Story Rejected."

Can you make that claim?  Writers all over the world can.  Never rejected.  Not even once.

How?

Are they storytellers so brilliant that rejection is impossible?  Is their prose so powerful that the Earth itself is moved by it?  Do they write their characters so real they knock at your front door and borrow cups of sugar?  Are their settings so vivid that you could walk through them with your eyes closed?

They must have a secret.  That's the only explanation for never having had a story rejected, isn't it?  Want to know what their secret is?  I'm about to divulge it.  Right here.  Right now.  Follow this simple step and you'll never find another rejection letter in your mail again.

Don't submit your story.

That's it!  It's the only way.  It's guaranteed to prevent the heartbreak of reading, "Sorry, but your story isn't right for us at this time."  And you'll never again battle the self-doubt that comes with receiving no response at all to your submission.

This is a secret I knew instinctively.  I had a perfect record with zero rejections.  I was undefeated.  And I wasn't about to jeopardize it!  Surely, my fragile ego couldn't possibly withstand an incrementing counter in the losses column.  Once a rejection came I'd never again be able to claim that I had avoided the disappointment of rejection.

Undaunted by fear, I blissfully wrote my stories and chapters.  I posted chuckles and light-hearted shorts on my blog without the dread of agents and editors scrutinizing every word and phrase.  I participated in weekly challenges with my online fantasy writing group, knowing the worst I'd receive was a callous critique.  I was happy.  I was writing.  And I had never been rejected.

And then came opportunity.  A message appeared in the fantasy writing group, posted by an editor who had just finished selecting stories for the "Cutlass: Ten Tales of Pirates" anthology.  She asked the group, "You wouldn't per chance have a really good story about magic?"

"Magic??? This is a FANTASY Writing group," I replied, and ended my response by quoting Harry Potter. "I love magic!"

She asked if I was fishing for an invitation.  I hadn't thought so consciously, but now that she'd asked, maybe subconsciously I was.  Was a push all I needed?  I inquired about where I could find the submission guidelines.  "Nowhere," she answered.  She doesn't like slush.  Submissions were by invitation only.  We took the conversation to email and she told me what types of stories she was seeking.

"What the heck," I thought.  I drafted the first thousand or so words of an idea I had.  I sent it to her and asked if it was in the ballpark.  She said it was.  So without regard for my perfect record, I wrote.  A few weeks later, I sent her the finished story.  And waited. 

An email arrived a couple months later.  It contained a handful of suggested edits.  I was ecstatic.  Edit requests mean they're interested, or so I'd read on more than one blog.  I happily revised and resubmitted.  A few days later I received word that she wanted to include "Barnabas" in the anthology.  My short story had found a home.

This was a case of me being in the right place at the right time with the right story sent to the right editor.  In North Carolina, we call that "sheer dumb luck."  But sometimes, sheer dumb luck is the best kind to have. 

But then I got to thinking.  That's what it always comes down to, isn't it?  Beautiful, powerful, exciting stories by the thousands skirt across the desks of countless agents and editors before they find a home.  They have to be the right story at the right time for the right place and read by the right agent. 

All we can do is keep submitting our stories until the celestial muses align and our words emit that almost divine aura that only the right agent at the right time can see.  It doesn't matter how many desks our stories see before they find their home.  What matters is that we continue giving our stories the chance to find that perfect home.

The quotable Winston Churchill said, "Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the courage to continue that counts."

Never having been rejected isn't a boast; it's proof you need to buy more stamps and click "Send" on more emails containing your stories and queries.  Have courage. Be tenacious, unrelentingly persistent.  The perfect home for your story is out there.  Only you can help your story find it.

About Jeff Hargett

Jeff Hargett is a grandfather from North Carolina with an imagination full of magic and dragons. He stays young and fit by dining on epic fantasy whenever possible. He has a short story that appears in the Spells: Ten Tales of Magic anthology and a couple others that placed in competitions, but prefers his fiction in novel-length doses. He is currently writing an epic fantasy series that he hopes will be published while he can still wield a pen. He’s a firm believer that when this world doesn’t suit you, you should write a world that does. He enjoys interacting with readers and other writers and spends far too much time loitering around his blog.

When this world doesn’t suit you, write a world that does.

24 comments:

  1. I'm downright honored to be your "first," Adam. Makes me feel kinda special. ;-) So special, in fact, that I might just grant you a peek into my closet--as soon as I get it straightened up a bit. lol

    And I'm always super supportive of folks pursuing their dreams. People reaching for dreams should always be encouraged. There's a world out there full of people and situations ready to drag us down; we must therefore stick together and build each other up.

    I do thank you for the invitation. It was my genuine pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff, you are super nice. So nice the rest of us feel like The Bad Guy Incarnate. ;) Thanks for the motivation story to submit, submit, submit (reject, reject, reject... but maybe). It's so true. Someday.

    Now Adam, about that dead llama jockey... I'm joining your blog because I feel a need to keep an eye on your possible subversive activities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you! Be careful though. A rather feisty jockey-less llama has been reported wandering around these parts.

      Delete
    2. Priceless! Julie, I do hope you realize that you may have committed yourself to a full time job. ;-) There may be more than feisty llamas roaming those parts.

      Glad you liked the post. And nobody is nice enough to make you guys look bad. You're much too awesome for that!

      Delete
  3. Well that is an interesting take on rejection. I've been rejected many times, but that's cause I went ahead and submitted my stories to agents and publishers. If you do decide to follow that path, I hope you don't experience much rejection. Each one you get kinda sucks. But epic fantasy is a genre that has a lot of readers. I'm eager for you to bring your fresh voice to the scene and become the next George R.R. Martin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michael. This is an excellent time to be George R. R. Martin. My plan is to try two additional publishers via slush. (I can use the lag time to make sure I don't need to tweak anything in book one based on developments in future books.) Beyond that, I'll decide between seeking an agent or self-publishing.

      Delete
  4. Sheer dumb luck! Yes, that is what we call it here.
    It really is all in the timing when it comes to submissions. I know my query sucked, so I can only chalk up my eventual success to good timing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do believe it depends on when and where and who. Of course, we writers must do our part first, which is polishing our stories until they sparkle under starlight.

      Delete
  5. "They have to be the right story at the right time for the right place and read by the right agent....The perfect home for your story is out there. Only you can help your story find it."

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, Love, LOVE.

    Such an entertaining post. Jeff is quickly becoming one of my favorite bloggers. (As are YOU, Adam) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're making me blush, Morgan. Not sure if Adam's the blushing type or not, but he's definitely worth being on people's "favorite bloggers" lists.

      Delete
  7. Chasing llamas sound like fun. If they taste goo roasted I might hand out here more often. :) Jockeys, if they are virgin I might as well try. :D

    The post, I praised it in a long letter but I don't mind repeating, it's encouraging and inspiring. :) You soon will be a star, Jeff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think dragons were that choosy. ;-) Thanks for the vote of confidence! I appreciate the compliments!

      Delete
  8. The llama . . .lol

    Jeff - Wonderful encouragement and humor mixed together. My first acceptance was a surprise to me . . .and then it turned out that even though it was accepted not everyone liked it that read it which was a bummer. (I had instant feedback from a college newspaper readership that lived in my dorm) I became more cautious about what I submitted after that - so cautious that I didn't want to submit anything for a long while, but then I decided it didn't matter whether everyone liked my writing or now. I was writing anyway. And if an editor accepted it, well, at least there might be a few others that thought my writing was ok too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make an excellent point about being rejected by readers. We condition ourselves to expect rejection from agents and editors. But when readers reject our stories, it's like a sucker-punch to the gut.

      I'm glad you didn't let rejection keep you from *ever* submitting again. Your writing, your style, your story is exactly what someone is longing to read.

      Delete
  9. Great post Jeff! Congratulations on your short story! I've been rejected a number of times and it is frustrating, but I will forge on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the congrats and compliment. Always forge ahead.

      Delete
  10. Hey Adam *waves*

    I love this story, Jeff. You have to suck it up and risk rejection and just submit. Congratulations on your acceptance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gwen, don't distract Adam yet...he's still washing the dirt out from beneath his nails. No, wait. Scratch that. We didn't bury the llama jockey. Wave back, Adam! :)

      Thanks for the compliment and congrats, Gwen. You're absolutely correct. Without the risk, there is no reward. The sweetest victories are born from our greatest struggles.

      Delete
  11. Great post! I completely agree with you. Even though my writing has always gotten nothing but rejections, at least I tried without just assuming it would be rejected. It's so important to take initiative if you ever hope to get ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather. Rejections are like badges of honor. It's proof of our courage and determination. Persistence is key. We will all eventually succeed if we don't give up.

      Delete
  12. "If you aim for your foot, you can't be blamed for not hitting the moon."

    Inside joke, in a sense. You can't fail if you don't try, right?

    Good job!

    Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Love to get comments!!!